„In honour of the wedding of Albrecht Landgrave of Thuringia and Kunigunde of Eisenberg“
Tournament on horseback
The prize for the victory is a material prize worth approx. 600,00 Euro!
Each participant has sufficient knowledge and training in the disciplines Tjost and Melleé. For safety reasons, we use a wooden Palia/ middle plank to separate the riders in the joust. Our show ground measures 12 x 40 m. To the Melleé the place will be cleared. The tournament lances will be Organizers placed, they are 3.50 m long with a tip of balsa wood 1m long D=25 mm. Each knight must have his own squire for the tournament. The squires have to adapt with their clothes and equipment to the 13th year.
Every duel goes over three calls. For each broken lance on the opponent’s shield the competitor receives 1 point. For particularly good starts and multiple broken lances, the ladies’ court can award an additional point.
To the Melleé the pot helmet can be taken off. Each participant has to provide sufficient head protection. A cervelliere under or on the Coif (chain cap) is well suitable. Personal protectors must be hidden invisibly under the equipment. The Melleé is ridden with sword and shield. The number of individual hits is evaluated by the judges.
Number of hits: max. 3 – after that the hit knight is eliminated from the further fight. The Melleé lasts max. 10 min. The riders have the possibility to stay briefly in a rest zone or to rearrange their equipment. Within this zone nobody may be attacked! An exchange of the horse is not permitted.
Hit zones: Helmet from above! And upper body.
Prohibition! All stitches. Slaps in the face. Strikes on the rider’s legs. Beatings to the horse.
Important! Top commandment! Every participant takes care of his safety and health and that of his horse and the safety and health of his opponent and his horse!
Violations of these rules will be punished with disqualification. The reminders and instructions of the judges have to be obeyed!
All points from the joust and the melleé are added together. Before the total number of points is announced, the ladies’ court can award additional points for particularly good riding and fair play and good equipment. The victory will be awarded over the maximum number of points. If there is a tie of points, the winner wins again with sword and shield.
• All equipment and clothing are to be adapted according to the picture of the 13th century
• Underware, chausses, body shirt, 1 or a 2nd Cotte or an acetone as padding under the armor
• Ring armour for the upper body and upholstered or waistband hood +Coif (chain hood) individually or attached to the hooderk
• Mail chausses are not a must! If available desired!
• Tunic/Surkot in the colours of the coat of arms or single-coloured
• 1 shield with shackle strap or neck strap and one coat of arms lance = banner lance
• Helmet as a pot helmet with fixed closed field of vision, slits max. 1.5 cm, material thickness min. 1.5 mm
• Crest – if available desired
• Sword as one hand sword on the Surkot belted (suitable for show fighting, no embrasures, no rust, sword tip 1 Euro size round)
Equipment of the horse:
• Complete couverture including head in one colour or adapted to the colours of the actor’s coat of arms.
• Bridles and saddles according to historical illustrations – if available desired!
• To protect the horse’s head, a horse’s forehead should be used, which can be worn under or on the couverture. Important! No steel! We have had good experience with leather and the inside is lined with felt.
Tournament on foot
Please choose from the two classes “Infantry Tournament / Knightly Duel” the one you want to compete in!
The prize for the victory in each of these classes is a material prize worth approx. 300.00 Euro!
Each participant has sufficient knowledge, training and discipline. Violations of these rules will be punished with disqualification. The reminders and instructions of the judges have to be obeyed!
Depending on the number of participants there will be preliminary rounds. Start 10.00 a.m. Saturday 22.06.2019. Each duel will have 3 hits for the winner. The final rounds will be held in the afternoon as part of the Grand Tournament. All fighters who reach the final rounds will be asked to walk to a Mellée to better explain the historical character of the tournaments. The women’s court will award a special prize to the best fighter. Also a good equipment can be very helpful to inspire the ladies!
Wichtig! Oberstes Gebot! Each participant takes care of his safety and health and the safety and health of his opponent!
Infantry Tournament Requirements
Helmet: Adapted to the 13th century e.g. monkshood, cervelliere as in Mac Bible. Also accepts nasal helmets with open visor.
Armor: Exclusively time-typical textile armor like the Mac Bible.
• Shield in triangular shape, also early shapes are allowed
• Spear or Ger
• Malchus (Falchion), large knives
• For swords only in conjunction with the humpback shield.
When using modern protectors you have to be careful that they should not be seen at any time or better to do without them because the VA is not a Battle of Nation.
Knightly duel requirements
Exclusive use of time-typical setup. (Hauberk, Haubergon, bonnet if necessary mail chausses, Coat of plates)
Helmets must correspond to the time position, helmet as a pot helmet with fixed closed field of vision, visual slits max. 1.5 cm, material thickness min. 1.5 mm
• triangular shield, also early shapes are allowed
• Sword e.g. Oakeshott Type XII, XIIa, XIII,XIIIa, (XIV)
When using modern protectors you have to be careful that they should not be seen at any time or better to do without them because the VA is not a Battle of Nation. If you don’t have knightly armour you can’t report for the class!
The hit zones – to avoid misunderstandings, the hit zones are discussed and determined with all participants on site.
Important hint!!! Prerequisite is that you are generally registered for the event Convenimus Saeculo XIII.
The closing date for registration for the tournament on horseback is 31 May 2019!